Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
This weekend we had a garden supper. Some friends of ours who also like to garden and my husband and I got together for dinner and ate a meal where most of the ingredients came from one of our gardens. When I first had the idea of a garden dinner, I had imagined dining in the garden amongst the plants and herbs with little white twinkle lights hanging on the plants surrounding the table, little votive candles lit in front of us, and the smell of basil and rosemary wafting through the air. And then I woke up. It turned out to be one of our hottest days yet – 109 degrees. Just a little too hot to be sitting outside, and as I picked various vegetables in preparation for the meal, I realized we would be eaten alive by ants while we were sitting in the garden anyway. Also, the menu had to be changed at the last minute, due to the fennel not producing any bulbs which I didn’t find out until the day of the get together. So much for fennel sausage pizza.
But, when life gives you
lemons zucchini, make Zucchini Parmesan Crisps! I have made this recipe a half a dozen times in the last couple weeks, because it is so delicious. They taste like fried zucchini, but are simpler to make and not quite as fattening. They can be thrown together in about 10 minutes, and then just take 20 minutes to bake. My daughter made them for a group of friends she had over, and had the brilliant idea of serving marinara sauce to dip them in. They were a big hit.
When our garden party plans didn’t quite turn out like I expected, I had to remind myself that friends are the most important ingredient in entertaining. What really matters is the relationship , and we had a wonderful time with our guests. We ate inside and just enjoyed being together, without having to worry about ants. When you share dinner with someone, you start to realize, life isn’t perfect and neither are people. But it is those relationships that help you get through the imperfect moments in your life and make it all worth it. That, and warm chocolate chip cookies.
ZUCCHINI PARMESAN CRISPS
2 large zucchini
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- 1/2 c plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 wedge parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Store-bought marinara sauce (optional)
- Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Dip each slice into olive oil making sure it is coated on both sides. Place on cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Sprinkle garlic powder on each round.
- Grate parmesan cheese with a zester or the small holes of a grater. Measure 1/2 cup and pour into a bowl.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of panko crumbs and pour over Parmesan cheese in the bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over cheese and bread crumbs.
- Stir together to mix.
- Carefully spoon bread crumb mixture onto each round, about a 1/4 inch high.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- If desired, serve with a store-bought marinara.
So thankful to Can’t Stay Out of The Kitchen for this recipe.