Wedge Salad with Bacon, Avocado, and Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
I don’t know why I love blue cheese dressing, but I do. It seems odd to like a cheese that is covered in mold. I remember growing up our family all loved Bob’s Big Boy Blue Cheese Salad Dressing. This recipe reminds me of that. It is very creamy and thick. You can taste the blue cheese, but it is more of a background flavor and doesn’t overpower the salad. Also, some blue cheese dressings can be tangy and this one isn’t at all. Best of all, it is so simple and quick to do.
Wedge salad is one of my favorite salads to make although I don’t do it very often. The majority of the time, we try to eat salads that are made with dark green lettuce for added nutrients and a lower calorie vinaigrette, but every once in a while, I splurge and use iceberg lettuce with a creamy dressing because it goes so well together. You can customize the salad with your favorite ingredients, but for me bacon, avocado, tomato, and green onions are perfect. It is like having a BLT without the bread. If you still want the bread, though, croutons would be great on this!
It’s funny what sticks from your childhood and what doesn’t. I remember having to eat liver and onions when I was very small, and that is not a pleasant memory. Let’s just say liver and onions is not something I want to find a recipe for now. I also should absolutely love ketchup if I inherited the exact same genes from one member of my family. That is not the case, however. But at some point, I guess I just wanted to feel like part of the family and like blue cheese dressing. Or maybe it was the excitement of eating at Bob’s Big Boy restaurant. (We were pretty adventurous)!:) Either way, I’m glad I embraced it and am happy I found this recipe so I can make my own. If you are a fan of blue cheese, please try it. I know you’ll love it!
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
For the Dressing:
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
For the Salad:
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 large tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 avocados, finely diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk the mixture together until smooth.
- Add the blue cheese and mix just until blended.
- Chill in an airtight container in the refrigerator at least 2 hours before serving.
- For wedge salad, core and quarter each head of lettuce.
- Serve a generous dollop of dressing over each lettuce wedge and top with the bacon, tomato, avocado, and green onions.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. Serves 8
Recipe slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine, June 2013, page 142