Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Recently, Jeff and I went to our cabin with some friends so I was looking for rustic recipes that would be fun to cook up there. I ran across a recipe for Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie. When I went to buy a skillet, I found small ones that were about 6 inches across at Cost Plus. There is something about smaller versions of bigger items that just gets to me. They were so cute and perfect for the Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookies. I ended up using them for 2 other dishes that weekend as well, which I will post on another day. I definitely got my money’s worth out of these skillets!
For this dessert, you basically take your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, divide it into 4 portions, place 1 portion in each skillet, and cook until the outside edges are golden brown, and the middle is still gooey on the inside. Immediately top with vanilla bean ice cream, and drizzle chocolate syrup over it. Serve right away in the skillet while still warm. The skillet cookie is meant to be shared so give each of your guests a spoon, and place one skillet between every 2 people. Make sure to put down a pretty kitchen towel underneath, as the skillets will be hot!
This dessert also solves the problem I often have with cookies. They always come out so flat. By cooking and serving them in the skillet, flatness doesn’t seem to be an issue. And the ice cream covers the top anyway. Because you can make the dough ahead of time and freeze it, this dessert would be perfect to serve guests over the holiday, as you are sitting by the fire, relaxing with family and friends. It is such a unique way to present a dessert, and so warm, and melty, and comforting, it will melt your heart as well!
SKILLET CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
1 c butter, softened
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 3/4 c white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- vanilla ice cream
- chocolate syrup
- Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and eggs, and mix until well incorporated.
- Stir baking soda and salt into the sugar mixture until combined.
- Add the flour and stir until just mixed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide dough into 4 separate portions and place 1 portion in each of 4 skillets. Spread out evenly in pan all the way to the edges.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Don’t overcook. It is supposed to be gooey in the middle.
- Immediately after taking out of the oven, quickly top each skillet with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over the ice cream. Serve right away, with a kitchen towel or hot pad underneath each skillet to protect furniture surfaces.
Recipe adapted from Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe