Red, White, and Blueberry Salad With Poppyseed Dressing
After Memorial Day here in Arizona, we brace ourselves for the heat we know is coming. Sunday it is supposed to be 108 degrees! I try to use my oven as little as possible during the next 4 months. Salads always sound so good this time of year, and we eat a lot more of them. All you have to do is add some kind of protein, and you have a nice light meal that doesn’t heat up the house.
This salad is perfect for summer because it takes advantage of the berries that are plentiful and less expensive right now. I usually make homemade poppy seed dressing to go with it. It has a bit of sweetness to it that really complements the berries. The feta and candied walnuts add a tartness and crunch that are irresistible in a salad. Eating this salad is almost as good as eating dessert. Almost. One good thing about the heat in Arizona is that it is the perfect place to go swimming in the summer. In order to stay cool, some of us go from our air-conditioned homes, run to the pool, swim, and then run back to the air conditioning. Of course, some of us are running because we don’t want to be seen in our bathing suits. The hazards of being a blogger, and trying out new recipes all the time….I think I just need to experiment with only salad recipes. If all salads were as good as this one, I could almost do that. Almost.
Red, White, and Blueberry Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
1/2 (10 oz.) bag of mixed salad greens
- 1/2 (10 oz.) bag of Romaine lettuce pieces
- 1 (quart) container of fresh strawberries, cut into halves or slices
- 1 (pint) container of fresh blueberries
- 1 (quart) container of fresh blackberries
- 1 (6 oz.) container of crumbled feta
- 1 (8 oz.) bag of candied walnuts
- poppy seed dressing (see recipe below)
- Get berries cleaned and cut early in the day. Then, when ready to eat, pour each kind of lettuce into large bowl, and mix together.
- Pour a small amount of poppy seed dressing over lettuce mixture and stir until dressing covers all the lettuce pieces. Add more dressing if needed.
- Distribute berries across top of lettuce mixture.
- Pour bag of walnuts over salad evenly.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese chunks.
- Pour poppy seed dressing over berries, walnuts, and feta, without stirring, and serve immediately.
POPPY SEED DRESSING
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp. grated onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 c canola oil
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT OIL in blender, and mix together.
- Slowly drizzle oil into blended ingredients while blender is on a low speed. Dressing will thicken as you do this.
- Place in container with lid, and refrigerate until needed.
Recipe from Cook AZ I Do