Raspberry Lemon Muffins
I have really been enjoying all the summer fruit, especially the berries that are sweet and ripe and less expensive right now. Most of the time I just eat them by the handful, but these raspberry lemon muffins are another way to take advantage of the season. There is something about the combination of lemon and raspberries – they just go perfectly together. The nice thing about these muffins is they call for lemon extract and since lemons aren’t in season, it works out nicely and still gives the muffins a great lemony flavor. Not to mention, the texture is so moist – they just melt in your mouth!
This recipe is super simple, and pretty much amounts to dumping the ingredients into a bowl, mixing briefly, and baking. If you don’t have access to ripe raspberries, frozen works great as well. When you don’t have fresh, frozen is nice as the color doesn’t bleed into the muffins. One small tip, I throw the raspberries and the flour in at the same time, and this seems to keep the raspberries from sinking to the bottom. Just be careful to fold them in gently, but this works out well as you don’t really want to overmix the flour either.
After the muffins have completely cooled, if you don’t need them right away, or if you have some left, place them in a Ziploc-type baggy, and throw them in the freezer. They keep very well for at least a month and you can enjoy them again later. This recipe is one of my favorites to serve to company alongside an egg dish. That way half of your work is done ahead of time, and since I’m not a morning person, that is very good news!
I also like to give these to my kids for a quick breakfast. They can be thawed in the microwave in seconds. My kids are grown now, but it is always fun to give them something to take home when they stop by unexpectedly. If I keep doing this, maybe they will keep coming back every once in a while! I can just pretend they came by to see my husband and me!:)
Raspberry Lemon Muffins
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c half & half or light cream
- 1/2 c canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 1/2 c fresh or frozen raspberries plus more for garnishing.
- Combine the sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In another small bowl, combine the eggs, half & half or light cream, oil, and lemon extract, and stir until mixed.
- Pour egg mixture over sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add flour and raspberries, and stir gently until just mixed.
- Spoon into 18 greased or paper-lined muffin cups about 2/3 full. Add a few more raspberries to the top of each one.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. Watch carefully after 15 minutes to make sure you don’t overbake. Test with toothpick to see if done.
Recipe from Cook AZ I Do