Moist Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes are very trendy right now. But, I have a confession to make. I do not love red velvet cupcakes. Most of the ones I have eaten have been dry and tasteless. They are so pretty, though, that I want to like them. Therefore, I have been on a search for a moist, flavorful red velvet recipe.
This recipe is one of the best I have found. They are supposed to be a copycat recipe of Sprinkles Red Velvet Cupcake. It contains more butter, and so is not as dry. The taste is much better, too. If you are looking for a moist, flavorful, and festive cupcake for the holidays, this would be a good one to try. And, of course, when you top it with cream cheese frosting, who really cares what the cupcake tastes like anyway?
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
1 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 c salted butter, firm but not cold
- 1 c plus 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. red food coloring
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, then set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl on medium speed, whip together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add red food coloring and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl (or measuring cup you used to measure the milk), combine milk and 1 tsp. vinegar.
- Add milk mixture and flour mixture to cupcake mixture, alternating in two separate batches, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly among 15 paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven 18-21 minutes until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Do not overcook.
- Remove from oven, and cool. Once cooled completely, spread generously with Cream Cheese Frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1/2 c or 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 box (1 lb.) powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar on medium speed until all lumps are removed from powdered sugar.
- Gradually add in pieces of the cream cheese in large chunks, until all of it is used. Continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on top of cupcakes or use a pastry bag to frost with a large star tip.
- Decorate as desired with sprinkles or candies.
Recipe for cupcakes adapted from Cooking Classy