Fudgy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Dessert
We have some friends coming to stay with us, and they actually arrive on St. Patrick’s Day. I thought about making corned beef and cabbage for dinner, but instead this year I decided to celebrate the Irish holiday the Arizona way. We are having Pork Carnitas and a green dessert! I don’t think they’ll mind too much. Especially when the dessert is this fudgy, oreo-filled, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Pie!
This dessert is loaded with crunchy Oreo crumbles on the top and bottom of the ice cream which gives it a great texture. Then it is topped with a home-made fudge sauce. I think the sauce is what makes it so good. It is so rich and thick and chocolaty. The combination of the ingredients is just wonderful! You can use whatever ice cream you like, but the chocolate mint just seems to pair so well with the fudge sauce. But then again, what doesn’t pair well with fudge sauce?!
One of the nice things about this dessert is that it feeds quite a few people, and it is so simple to make. It is made in a 9×13-inch pan. You can adjust it to feed even more by adding a little more ice cream to the middle layer. Just be sure to give yourself enough time for the ice cream and fudge layer to freeze. Overnight is best. This would be a great dessert for a summer bar-b-q, Christmas, due to its color, or even for Father’s Day if you have a husband like mine whose favorite food on earth is chocolate mint ice cream. And then there is another time this would be a great dessert – any day of the week that ends with a “y”! 🙂
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Dessert
- 1 large pkg. Oreos
- 1 stick (1/2 c) butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream or favorite flavor
- 2/3 c chocolate chips
- 1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter
- 1 1/2 c evaporated milk
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- heavy whipping cream, optional for garnish
- Junior Mints, optional for garnish
- Place Oreos in a zip lock bag, and roll over bag with a rolling-pin to crush cookies.
- Mix smashed cookie pieces with 1 stick melted butter.
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with 1/2 of cookie mixture. Press with fingers to make smooth.
- Soften ice cream for about a 1/2 hour. Spread ice cream over cookie mixture in pan.
- Smash the other 1/2 of the cookies into the top of the ice cream. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- While ice cream is in freezer, mix chocolate chips, 1/2 stick of butter, evaporated milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium saucepan, and boil for 8 minutes on low heat, stirring often. (Don’t worry if at first it looks separated and grainy. It will come together after it boils.) Cool completely.
- When fudge sauce is cool, spread over ice cream. Freeze, covered, for at least 8 hours, overnight is best.
- When ready to serve, let soften until you can cut into pieces with a knife. Garnish with canned or whipped whipping cream with a little sugar added and a Junior Mint, if desired. Freeze any leftovers.
Recipe by Cookazido, originally given to me from my friend Lisa Temple