Creamy Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta – A Perfect Summer Supper
I tried this recipe for Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta recently, and it was simple and very flavorful. With just a few ingredients, it is a great weeknight dinner recipe. As always, with my weeknight dinner recipes, I still want it to taste amazing, but be a little quicker to prepare, and this one is exactly that.
The flavors of sun-dried tomatoes and basil really come through in this pasta sauce so if you enjoy those flavors, I think you will love it. I also liked the fact that it has chicken in it, to balance the carbs in the pasta. Being a stove-top dish, it doesn’t heat up your house so is perfect for summer.
The only thing that would keep this from becoming a regular weeknight dinner in our house is that it contains cream. This is also part of the reason it is so good. It seems like all of my favorite recipes have cream or butter in them. Why do all the good recipes have to be so fattening? I am still going to work it into the rotation, but maybe just not as often. It would be a great thing to fix for company, because sometimes we just have to sacrifice a few calories for our guests. At least that may be the way I rationalize fixing this pasta as often as possible!
Creamy Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (I used Foster Farms Chicken Tenders, and they worked really well)
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 lb. dried pasta (depends on how saucy you like your pasta)
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 c white wine
- 2/3 c whipping cream
- 1/2 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, and chopped (I used a jar that came with the tomatoes already chopped)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large quantity of salted water to boil in a stockpot.
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet.
- Toss chicken strips in flour.
- Sear chicken over medium-high heat until golden brown and just cooked. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add pasta to boiling water.
- Add shallots to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Stir wine, cream, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil into the skillet, scraping up bits of chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes or to preference.
- Return chicken to skillet to heat through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When pasta is done, drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water to add to sauce if it needs more liquid, or for added richness, add more cream (I didn’t have to do either of these things).
- Place noodles in a bowl, and pour sauce over noodles.
- Sprinkle additional basil over for garnish. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.