Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies For My Super Hero
Our middle son, Wesley, turned 21 this week so I was looking for a recipe for dessert to celebrate his birthday. He really likes chocolate chip cookie dough so I decided these cookie dough brownies would be the perfect thing. Oh my gosh, were they ever good. He gets his love of cookie dough from his mother.
The cookie dough part of the brownie isn’t baked so it is more like a brownie with cookie dough frosting. And, it doesn’t have raw eggs in it so it is nice not to have to be concerned about that. If you are a fan of cookie dough or someone in your family is, you will love this recipe.
I can’t believe our son is turning 21. It seems like just yesterday he dressed up like superman and was flying over his bed to save the world.
He has grown into a wonderful, caring, responsible young man who definitely makes my world a better place. Hopefully, we’ll get to enjoy dessert together for many years to come.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH BROWNIE
For the Brownie:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 c butter, softened
- 2 c light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c all-purpose flour
For the Cookie Dough Frosting:
- 3/4 c butter
- 3/4 c light brown sugar
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c chocolate chips
To Prepare the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil, with enough to hang over all four sides. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a medium glass bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue to microwave and stir at 10 second increments, until melted and smooth. Be sure not to heat it longer than 10 seconds at a time, after the initial 30 seconds, or it is likely to burn. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the melted chocolate until combined.
- Reduce speed to low, add the flour, and mix just until combined (don’t over-mix).
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Watch carefully at the end so it doesn’t overbake and get too dry.
- Let cool completely.
To Prepare the Cookie Dough Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, use a mixer on medium speed to combine the butter and both sugars.
- Add the milk and vanilla, and mix until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in the flour just until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough over the cooled brownies. Refrigerate until the dough is firm, about an hour.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the brownies. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.