Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
If you are looking for an easy dessert for the upcoming holidays, that tastes amazing and looks beautiful too, Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars are perfect. It combines 2 of my favorite desserts, Dutch apple pie and cheesecake. It is just one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. The streusel on the top is perfect and the caramel sends the whole dessert over the top.
This recipe is not that hard to make. There are several layers, but each is simple to put together. Using a potato peeler makes the apples quick to peel, and there are only 3 of them. For the crust and the streusel, you would think the cold butter would be hard to incorporate into the rest of the ingredients, but if you use your hands as the recipe directs, it comes together surprisingly fast. Believe me, if this dessert took 6 hours to put together, I would still make it, because it is that good. But the great thing is, it doesn’t! It is delicious and easy, too.
If you need to take a dessert to a Thanksgiving or Christmas get together, you can make it the day before, cut it into bars that day, and drizzle the caramel over the top of each piece just before serving. Or if you are the one having Thanksgiving or Christmas at your house, it can even be made several days in advance. I used very scientific methods to find this out: I ate it 3 days in a row. It was perfect every time. I only did that for research purposes for the blog. It was a sacrifice, but I am very unselfish that way!:) I think I will be making this one for many years to come. I hope you enjoy it, too!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
2 c flour
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 c butter (2 sticks), cut into small chunks
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c sugar plus 2 Tbsp. separated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c caramel topping
- 1 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 c flour
- 1/2 c oats
- 1/2 c butter, cut in chunks (1 stick)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×9 inch pan.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, and butter chunks. Use hands to combine until crumbly.
- Press evenly into a 9×9 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- In the bowl of a mixer, mix cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Peel and core apples. Dice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix 2 Tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon together. Stir into chopped apples to coat evenly.
- Now pour cream cheese mixture evenly over baked crust.
- Distribute apples in a single layer evenly over cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While cheesecake bars are baking, combine all streusel toppings (using hands again with butter chunks to make into a crumble).
- When the bars have baked for 15 minutes, take them out and distribute the streusel evenly over apple layer.
- Bake for 15 to 20 more minutes. Let cool. Then refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut into pieces and drizzle caramel over each piece. Serve immediately and refrigerate any leftovers.
- Makes 9-12 bars depending on how big you cut them.
Recipe from Raining Hot Coupons